ORGANIZING YOUR REFLECTIONS PROGRAM
Local PTAs organize a Reflections Program to recognize student artwork submitted at their school as the first part of the National PTA program.
This involves activities such as publicizing the program, setting a due date to collect student artwork, selecting a judging panel, and planning a recognition event for student participants.
To get started, we suggest appointing a Reflections Program chairman along with a few committee members to help put together the Reflections Program at your school.
In your first meeting these are some essential areas to cover:
- Meet to review the this year’s theme, “The World Would Be A Better Place If…”
- The rules for each category
- Reflections program materials provided on the Local Leader Guide Page of our website
- Brainstorm ideas for:
- A Reflections Program kick off, student art display, judging panel, community sponsors, and an awards ceremony.
Delegate different aspects for running a successful program to your committee members:
- Develop a Reflections Program timeline and calendar using Nevada PTA due dates as well as your school master calendar
- Submit a Reflections Program budget to your PTA board and association for approval
- Promote the Reflections Program to your principal and teachers to encourage their buy-in, support and involvement
- Publicize the program including the annual theme and due dates for students, parents, teachers, and community members in newsletters, on campus and on your school website
- Select an impartial and qualified panel of judges to assess student artwork
- Enlist the support of local businesses for supplies and student awards
- Arrange to collect student artwork on your publicized due date
- Plan a Reflections Award event to recognize each student participant
- Prepare certificates and order awards for student participants
- Recruit volunteers to help with hospitality, set up, and clean up at your Reflections Award event.
After Your Reflections Award Event – Plan to follow up after your Reflections Awards event by delegating committee members and volunteers to help complete activities such as:
- Preparing cards or letters of congratulations to send to student participants
- Writing thank you notes to those involved in your program including judges, teachers, volunteers and sponsors
- Sending student entries selected to represent your PTA to Nevada PTA by January 9th, 2015 our due date for the next level of judging
- Completing and submitting Reflections Program forms online for student entries at the council/ district level to National PTA at www.pta.org
- Returning entries to students whose artwork was not selected for the next level of judging
- Publicizing the new Reflections theme soon after it’s announced in May at the annual National PTA convention
- Publicizing any Reflections awards given to local students at other levels of judging
- Updating your Reflections Program procedure book so your committee doesn’t need to reinvent the wheel next year
For more ideas and information, contact Kimberly Smith, Nevada PTA’s Reflections Program Chair at (702)491-7867 or firstname.lastname@example.org.