The Reflections Arts Recognition Program is a national arts recognition and achievement program for students. Since 1969, over 10 million students across the nation have taken part in this popular PTA program.
The excitement and enthusiasm that the program generates for students, parents, schools and communities is unmatched with the majority of Nevada PTAs participating in the program at all PTA levels.
That’s why the Reflections Program provides an excellent opportunity for students of all ages to:
- Unleash their creative talents and be inspired
- Express themselves imaginatively in their artwork
- Experience the joy and fun of making art
- Tap into critical thinking skills to create art inspired by the annual theme
- Receive positive recognition for their original works of art
As an added bonus, in showcasing and celebrating student talent, the Reflections Program increases community awareness of the importance of the arts in education.
HOW TO GET INVOLVED
Participation in the Nevada PTA’s Reflections Program is open to all students attending PTA/PTSA schools that sponsor the program.
Art Categories (6)
- Dance Choreography
- Film Production
- Music Composition
- Visual Arts
To allow student artworks to be recognized and judged with the appropriate developmental age and skill levels in mind, the Reflections Program is organized by school grade, offering 5 divisions:
- Primary – Preschool-Grade 2
- Intermediate – Grades 3-5
- Middle/Junior – Grades 6-8
- Senior – Grades 9-12
- Special Artist – Non-Graded
Special Artist Division
The Special Artist Division is a non-graded division limited to students whose physical, cognitive or mental health challenges meet the guidelines in the American Disabilities Act.
Qualifying students create their own artwork. But, they may receive non-artistic accommodation and assistance from an adult.
Students who qualify for the Special Artist Division may choose to enter in the traditional four grade divisions.
If this is the case, students will follow all general and arts category rules, but may submit an entry in the grade division most closely aligned to their cognitive or functional abilities. The student is then recognized and awarded as part of the general student population without regard to special needs or challenges.
Reflections Program Levels
Reflections is a nation-wide arts appreciation and recognition program for students sponsored by National PTA.
To take part, student Reflections’ entries at a school are first recognized, judged and celebrated by the local PTA unit.
Local PTA Units may submit their top 3 Award of Excellence Winners in each of the 6 Categories to Nevada PTA for consideration for State awards. These entries are then judged, recognized, and celebrated. If selected as 1st Place Award of Excellence winners at the Nevada PTA Level, these recipients are then submitted to National PTA for award consideration at the final level of competition.
Nevada State PTA Reflections Awards
Each year, Students are recognized with a Nevada State PTA Award of Excellence for their artwork and receive:
- Opportunity to showcase and perform their artwork at the Nevada PTA Reflections Awards Ceremony
- Prizes for Award of Excellence, Award of Merit, and Outstanding Achievement in each Category
- Prizes are being determined based on our Sponsorship and Funding this year. However, please be certain that every member of the committee is working hard to make this year’s ceremony a celebration that student’s will cherish for a lifetime.
- We are looking to find galleries to display our winning artists works. All winning entries will be on display at this year’s Nevada PTA Convention held at Texas Station in April 2015 and we are also working with the Convention Committee to potentially feature our talented artists as well.
Only First Place Award of Excellence entries represent Nevada State PTA at the National level of the Reflections Program.
Student recipients of the National PTA Award of Excellence and Award of Merit are recognized at the annual National PTA convention and their artwork is featured as part of the program’s traveling, national exhibit.
For more information contact Kimberly Smith Nevada PTA Reflections Chair at 702-491-7867 email firstname.lastname@example.org
MORE WAYS TO GET INVOLVED
Students’ Reflections Theme Search
The Reflections Program annual theme search offers another great way for students to get involved in the Reflections Program. Encourage your student to brainstorm and imagine a theme that will appeal to others in preschool through grade 12. For submitting the award-winning theme, the student receives $100 and recognition at the National PTA convention in June. To submit a student’s suggestions for a Reflections Program theme, complete the entry form and send it to Nevada PTA by November 2nd, 2014.
This years’ theme search has closed. All entries have been sent to National PTA for review. Thank you for your interest.
MARY LOU ANDERSON REFLECTIONS ARTS ENHANCEMENT GRANT PROGRAM
Is your PTA planning a creative Arts Program for students? Each year, National PTA provides up to $1,000 in matching funds for PTA sponsored Arts Programs facilitating sustained involvement in the arts that target populations of at-risk students. This Grant application process begins on January 5th, 2015!
For the online application and to learn more, click here.